The AEA KU4 unidirectional ribbon microphone is their newest and perhaps most unique offering. The KU4 is AEA's modern interpretation of the original RCA KU3A, which many engineers consider to be the best ribbon microphone ever made. The increased rear rejection of the supercardioid pattern reduces the amount of room sound, which is often desired in modern production applications, particularly vocal recording. With a custom transformer, strong neodymium magnets and a low-tuned RCA new-old stock ribbon, the KU4 continues AEA's legacy for wide-bandwidth, top-quality ribbon microphones handmade in Pasadena, CA.
As always, Front End Audio will bring you more information as it becomes available from AEA.
AEA KU4 Unidirectional Ribbon Microphone Features
- Contemporary realization of the RCA KU3A classic
- Supercardioid pattern for excellent rear rejection
- Reduced proximity effect
- Smooth, high-bandwidth frequency response
- Authentic New Old Stock RCA ribbon material
- High-quality anodized & nickel-plated finish
- Custom AEA transformer, neodymium magnets
- Consistent Quality
- Field-tech replaceable ribbon assembly
- Hand-crafted in Pasadena, California
AEA KU4 Unidirectional Ribbon Microphone Specifications
- Operating Principle: Velocity microphone
- Frequency Response: Below 30 Hz to above 20 kHz
- Maximum SPL: 140 + dB SPL above 200Hz for 1% third harmonic
- Output Sensitivity: 2.8 mV/Pa into unloaded circuit
- Output Impedance: 300 Ω nominal
- Recommended Load: 1.2 KΩ or greater
- Phantom power: Not required or recommended
- Polarity: Pin 2 high for positive pressure at the front of the microphone.
- Connector: XLR-3M wired to a 1.5 meter captive cable
- Polar Pattern: Supercardioid
- Relative Output at 180° (dB): -12
- Angle of Maximum Rejection: 135°
- Ribbon Thickness: 1.8 microns ( .0000018 meter ) of pure aluminum
- Ribbon Width: 0.082” (2.1 mm)
- Ribbon Length: 1.25” (28.6 mm)
- Included: Custom storage/shipping case, stand adapter, manual and attached 1.5 meter microphone cable
- Limited Warranty: Three years parts and labor, shipping not included.